Wroughton Health Centre

01793 812221

Station House Surgery

01793 740276

Access to medical records

The practice is registered and complies with the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018). Any request for access to notes by a patient, patient’s representative or outside body will be dealt with in accordance with the Act.

Who Can Request Access

The Patient: Can request access to their own health record.

Children Over 16 Years: Can request access to their own health record or can authorise someone to look at them on their behalf.

Children Under 16 Years: Someone with parental responsibility can request access but if the doctor feels that they are ‘Gillick competent’ (mature enough to make informed decisions) the child will first be asked for their consent; in these circumstances they can also look at their record themselves.

Patient Representatives: Anyone who the patient has given written consent to.

Court Representatives: Anyone appointed by the court to manage the affairs of a patient who can no longer do this for themselves.

Deceased Patients: Anyone who is the patient’s personal representative or who may have a claim arising out of the patient’s death.

How To Request Access

Complete the form : All requests must be made in writing on the Application for Access to Medical Records form available from Reception.

Timeframe : When we receive your request we will review your health record and consider whether there are any reasons to refuse you access; these are very unlikely and you would be told the reason why. We would then ensure we had consent (where appropriate) and make a time for you to come in and sit with an administrator to review your computer and paper records. This will normally be within 28 days.

The Appointment

When you arrive you will need to bring with you a form of photo ID, this is to ensure that we are not sharing your record with anyone who does not have permission.

When you arrive we will sit with you in a quiet and private area and show you your paper and computer record.

If you have any questions the administrator will endeavour to answer them for you or will keep notes to clarify with an appropriate doctor or nurse.

If you need any copies of your paper records these can be given to you free of charge for the first request, further copies will be charged at a charge of 45p per sheet up to a maximum charge of £50.

You will not be able to make any entries or changes to your paper or computer record; you will not be able to remove any sections of your paper record.

Other Organisations

The practice may share your personal information with other NHS organisations where this is appropriate for your healthcare. In other circumstances we may approach you for specific consent to release personal information to third parties.

Information will not normally be released to other family members without written patient consent.

In some circumstances there are statutory or ethical obligations to disclose information to others (such as public health issues) which may not require your consent; however you may be consulted about these in advance.
All staff have access to your medical and personal details which is required in relation to their roles and have completed confidentiality agreements.

  • How we handle your information
  • Your Health Record protecting your information
  • Summary Care Record
  • How information about you helps us to provide better care
  • The enhanced Data Sharing Module

Changes To Your Health Record

If you feel that information in your health record is incorrect you should first discuss this with your GP.

Further Information

Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF Tel: 0303 123 1113